- 1/2 cup butter (1/4 lb.), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- About 1/2 cup slivered almonds (3 oz.), finely ground, plus slivered almonds for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- calories 65
- caloriesfromfat 46 %
- protein 0.8 g
- fat 3.3 g
- satfat 1 g
- carbohydrate 8.2 g
- fiber 0.4 g
- sodium 26 mg
- cholesterol 2.8 mg
How to Make It
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, shortening, and sugar until smooth; beat in molasses and lemon peel until well blended.
In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves; stir into butter mixture until completely incorporated. Stir in almonds and candied ginger.
Divide dough into thirds. Shape each third into a roll about 1 1/2 inches in diameter; wrap rolls in waxed paper and chill until firm, at least 4 hours, or up to 1 week.
Unwrap dough. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place slices about 1 inch apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. If desired, gently press a slivered almond into the middle of each cookie.
Bake cookies in a 350° oven until edges are lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.