1. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, shortening, and sugar until smooth; beat in molasses and lemon peel until well blended.
2. In another bowl, mix flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves; stir into butter mixture until completely incorporated. Stir in almonds and candied ginger.
3. Divide dough into thirds. Shape each third into a roll about 1 1/2 inches in diameter; wrap rolls in waxed paper and chill until firm, at least 4 hours, or up to 1 week.
4. Unwrap dough. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place slices about 1 inch apart on buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets. If desired, gently press a slivered almond into the middle of each cookie.
5. Bake cookies in a 350° oven until edges are lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool completely.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.