This recipe is perfect...easy, and delicious! I took a chance and went with this recipe even though there was only one review...and I am so glad I did! The candy is perfect...crunchy but not too hard, and the hint of cinnamon flavor is just right! The recipe is easy and you really don't need anything special to make it~a candy thermometer is really not needed. I would just add that it takes more like 20-25 min on medium to reach the "hard crack stage" instead of the 8 min suggested in this recipe. You can test for readiness by dropping a small amount of the candy in a cup of cold water. If it gets hard and does not bend, like a lollipop, it is ready! I highly recommend this recipe! I am going to use it again for our school Halloween Bake Sale this Fall!
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 237
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.3g
- Carbohydrate: 61.4g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 20mg
- Calcium: 8mg
- Cooking spray
- 8 (4-ounce) Red Delicious apples, stemmed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cinnamon decorator candies (such as Red Hots)
- Line a large baking sheet with foil, and coat with cooking spray. Insert 1 (6-inch) white dowel into stem end of each apple.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and candies in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 300° (about 8 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Working with 1 apple at a time, holding apple by its dowel, dip in syrup, tilting pan to cover apple. Turn apple quickly to coat evenly with syrup; let excess syrup drip back into pan. Place apple, dowel side up, on prepared baking sheet to harden (about 5 minutes).
Apples sold in bulk in bags, which tend to be smaller than those sold individually, are the ideal size for these treats. You'll find white dowels at hobby and craft stores, or use wooden craft sticks. Store Candied Apples in an airtight container for up to three days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note