love love love this soup! i do however, use a 1/4 red pepper instead of celery because i don't like celery. for those who think it is bland, that probably helps.
Canadian Cheese Soup with Pumpernickel Croutons
Photo: Oxmoor House
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 203
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 21.9g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 671mg
- Calcium: 318mg
- 3 (1-ounce) slices pumpernickel bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery stalk, quartered
- 1 teaspoon butter or stick margarine
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (16-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan, and bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until toasted.
- While the croutons bake, combine onion, carrot, and celery in a food processor, and pulse until chopped. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Gradually add 1 can of broth to flour in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to pan. Stir in 1 can of broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes or until thick. Stir in milk, salt, paprika, and pepper; cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; add the cheese, and stir until cheese melts. Ladle soup into bowls, and top with croutons.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews