love love love this soup! i do however, use a 1/4 red pepper instead of celery because i don't like celery. for those who think it is bland, that probably helps.
Canadian Cheese Soup with Pumpernickel Croutons
Photo: Oxmoor House
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup and 1/4 cup croutons)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 203
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 21.9g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 671mg
- Calcium: 318mg
- 3 (1-ounce) slices pumpernickel bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery stalk, quartered
- 1 teaspoon butter or stick margarine
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (16-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan, and bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until toasted.
- While the croutons bake, combine onion, carrot, and celery in a food processor, and pulse until chopped. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Gradually add 1 can of broth to flour in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to pan. Stir in 1 can of broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes or until thick. Stir in milk, salt, paprika, and pepper; cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; add the cheese, and stir until cheese melts. Ladle soup into bowls, and top with croutons.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note