- 3 (1-ounce) slices pumpernickel bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and quartered
- 1 celery stalk, quartered
- 1 teaspoon butter or stick margarine
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (16-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- calories 203
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fat 6.8 g
- satfat 3.8 g
- monofat 1.9 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 13.2 g
- carbohydrate 21.9 g
- fiber 1.8 g
- cholesterol 23 mg
- iron 1.1 mg
- sodium 671 mg
- calcium 318 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
Place bread cubes on a jelly-roll pan, and bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until toasted.
While the croutons bake, combine onion, carrot, and celery in a food processor, and pulse until chopped. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; sauté 5 minutes or until tender.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Gradually add 1 can of broth to flour in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to pan. Stir in 1 can of broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes or until thick. Stir in milk, salt, paprika, and pepper; cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat; add the cheese, and stir until cheese melts. Ladle soup into bowls, and top with croutons.