Camp Stove Pad Thai
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup tamarind concentrate
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup rinsed bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 package (14 oz.) dried rice noodles
- 1 lime
- 1 pound frozen cooked shelled shrimp or 1 pound firm tofu
- AT HOME:
- 1. Buy pad thai sauce, or make your own. Pour vegetable oil in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add shallots and garlic and stir until limp, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tamarind concentrate (or substitute 1 tablespoon dark molasses and increase lime juice to 1/4 cup), brown sugar, Asian fish sauce, chili powder, and lime juice; cook 1 minute. Let cool; chill airtight up to 1 week.
- 2. Seal carrots, bean sprouts, cilantro, green onions, and peanuts in separate plastic bags; chill vegetables and cilantro.
- 3. Purchase rice noodles, lime, and shrimp (pack frozen) or tofu (cut into 1-in. chunks; seal in a bag and chill).
- 4. Pack a large pan; a pasta insert or a strainer; a medium pan for sauce; and tongs for combining noodles and sauce.
- IN CAMP:
- 1. Halve and slice lime.
- 2. In a large pan over high heat, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook until barely tender to bite, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain noodles and rinse well in cool water. Return noodles to pan.
- 3. In a medium pan over high heat, heat sauce and shrimp or tofu. Add to noodles with carrots, sprouts, cilantro, green onions, and peanuts; mix to coat. Accompany with lime slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This