The dipping sauce is the best part of this dish - amazing blend of soy and fresh lime with the afterburn of the hot chile paste. Surprisingly, the rolls are a little bland without the sauce, although the fresh basil and mint were too die for. I found that there were too many rice noodles, which not only got in the way of the other tastes but also made these very messy to eat, and I'm not sure the lettuce belonged in here either. I might just use the dipping sauce for a different application altogether next time!
Cambodian Summer Rolls
Photo: Karry Hosford
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 140
- Calories from fat: 5%
- Fat: 0.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 23.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 385mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound medium shrimp
- 6 ounces uncooked rice noodles
- 12 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 cups shredded red leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- Dipping sauce:
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- To prepare rolls, bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the shrimp; cook 3 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel shrimp; chill.
- Place rice noodles in a large bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand 8 minutes; drain.
- Add cold water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in water. Let stand 2 minutes or until soft. Place rice paper sheet on a flat surface.
- Spread 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce in the center of sheet; top with 2 to 3 shrimp, 1/4 cup lettuce, about 1/4 cup rice noodles, 1 teaspoon basil, and 1 teaspoon mint. Fold sides of sheet over filling, roll up jelly-roll fashion, and gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter; cover to keep from drying. Repeat procedure with remaining rice paper, hoisin sauce, shrimp, lettuce, rice noodles, basil, and mint.
- To prepare dipping sauce, combine soy sauce and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers