- 6 cups water
- 36 unpeeled medium shrimp (about 1 pound)
- 4 ounces uncooked rice noodles
- 12 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 cups shredded red leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- Dipping sauce:
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic (such as sambal oelek)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- calories 131
- caloriesfromfat 6 %
- fat 0.9 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- monofat 0.1 g
- polyfat 0.2 g
- protein 6.7 g
- carbohydrate 24.1 g
- fiber 0.8 g
- cholesterol 36 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 379 mg
- calcium 37 mg
How to Make It
To prepare rolls, bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the shrimp to pan; cook 3 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Peel shrimp; chill.
Place noodles in a large bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand for 8 minutes; drain.
Add cold water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in water. Let stand 2 minutes or until soft. Place rice paper sheet on a flat surface.
Spread 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce in the center of sheet; top with 3 shrimp, 1/4 cup lettuce, about 2 1/2 tablespoons noodles, 1 teaspoon basil, and 1 teaspoon mint. Fold sides of sheet over filling, roll up jelly-roll fashion, and gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter; cover to keep from drying. Repeat procedure with remaining rice paper, hoisin sauce, shrimp, shredded lettuce, noodles, basil, and mint.
To prepare dipping sauce, combine soy sauce and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.