- 6 cups water
- 1 pound medium shrimp
- 6 ounces uncooked rice noodles
- 12 (8-inch) round sheets rice paper
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 cups shredded red leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh mint
- Dipping sauce:
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chile paste with garlic
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- calories 140
- caloriesfromfat 5 %
- fat 0.8 g
- satfat 0.1 g
- monofat 0.1 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 9 g
- carbohydrate 23.5 g
- fiber 0.7 g
- cholesterol 47 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 385 mg
- calcium 32 mg
How to Make It
To prepare rolls, bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the shrimp; cook 3 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel shrimp; chill.
Place rice noodles in a large bowl; cover with boiling water. Let stand 8 minutes; drain.
Add cold water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in water. Let stand 2 minutes or until soft. Place rice paper sheet on a flat surface.
Spread 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce in the center of sheet; top with 2 to 3 shrimp, 1/4 cup lettuce, about 1/4 cup rice noodles, 1 teaspoon basil, and 1 teaspoon mint. Fold sides of sheet over filling, roll up jelly-roll fashion, and gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter; cover to keep from drying. Repeat procedure with remaining rice paper, hoisin sauce, shrimp, lettuce, rice noodles, basil, and mint.
To prepare dipping sauce, combine soy sauce and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.