Cambodian Steamed Mussels
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 540
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 73g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Sodium: 1151mg
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- 4 pounds mussels (beards pulled off), scrubbed
- 1/2 teaspoon salad oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño chilies
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 cup pineapple chunks (about 1/2 in.; fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 loaf (1 lb.) French bread, sliced
- 1. Discard any gaping mussels that do not close when the shells are tapped.
- 2. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, stir oil and chilies until chilies are limp, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3. Add chicken broth, canned coconut milk, ground turmeric, and rice vinegar. Bring mixture to a boil.
- 4. Add mussels, cover, and cook until shells open, 6 to 10 minutes.
- 5. Ladle the mussels and broth into wide bowls.
- 6. Spoon pineapple chunks equally over mussels and sprinkle portions with cilantro. Season to taste with salt.
- 7. Serve mussels with bread to dip into the broth as you eat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note