- 4 pounds mussels (beards pulled off), scrubbed
- 1/2 teaspoon salad oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño chilies
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 cup pineapple chunks (about 1/2 in.; fresh or canned)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 loaf (1 lb.) French bread, sliced
- calories 540
- caloriesfromfat 20 %
- protein 32 g
- fat 12 g
- satfat 4.9 g
- carbohydrate 73 g
- fiber 3.6 g
- sodium 1151 mg
- cholesterol 37 mg
How to Make It
Discard any gaping mussels that do not close when the shells are tapped.
In a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, stir oil and chilies until chilies are limp, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add chicken broth, canned coconut milk, ground turmeric, and rice vinegar. Bring mixture to a boil.
Add mussels, cover, and cook until shells open, 6 to 10 minutes.
Ladle the mussels and broth into wide bowls.
Spoon pineapple chunks equally over mussels and sprinkle portions with cilantro. Season to taste with salt.
Serve mussels with bread to dip into the broth as you eat.