The cocktail sauce is excellent and easy to make, though I left out the orange rind called for in the recipe. This is my favorite way to bake shrimp! I've made it with the crushed chips and it was very good, but I prefer to use Panko breading. Fabulous recipe!
Camarones Fritoes with Mexican Cocktail Sauce
Use this coating and crisping technique for different fillets of fish, such as halibut or catfish. It will also work in making chicken fingers. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 7 shrimp and about 4 teaspoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 301
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 27g
- Carbohydrate: 36.1g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 173mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 641mg
- Calcium: 138mg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 (5.5-ounce) bag baked potato chips (such as Lay's)
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare shrimp, lightly spoon the flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a shallow dish. Combine the buttermilk and egg white in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place potato chips in a food processor; process until finely ground. Place chip crumbs in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle shrimp evenly with salt and pepper. Working with 1 shrimp at a time, dredge shrimp in flour; dip into buttermilk mixture. Dredge shrimp in crumbs, shaking off excess. Place shrimp on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Lightly spray top of shrimp with cooking spray. Repeat the procedure with remaining shrimp, flour, buttermilk mixture, and crumbs. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until done.
- To prepare sauce, combine ketchup and remaining ingredients, stirring well. Serve sauce with shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes