Calzones Two Ways
Use this one basic recipe to create a vegetarian broccoli-and-cheese version and a more traditional pepperoni version (we've used healthier turkey pepperoni--no one will know the difference). Make the calzones up to a day in advance and refrigerate until ready to bake. Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 30 minutes.
More From Health
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 51g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 815mg
- Calcium: 162mg
- Cooking spray
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets, thawed and drained
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup prepared tomato sauce (such as spaghetti or pizza sauce)
- 2 packages Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough
- 1/4 cup sliced turkey pepperoni (such as Hormel)
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 450º. Coat 1 large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes, until soft. Add oregano and stir to coat.
- 3. Divide the onion mixture between two medium bowls. Set aside.
- 4. Add broccoli to skillet; cook 3 minutes, until broccoli is crisp-tender. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- 5. In one medium bowl, to onion mixture, add broccoli, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, and salt. Mix well to combine; set aside.
- 6. In the other medium bowl, to onion mixture, add 1/4 cup ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, and tomato sauce. Mix well to combine, and set aside.
- 7. Unroll dough onto baking sheet; half each roll so there are four squares. For 2 of them: Top one side of dough with broccoli mixture, to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Fold untopped side over, so dough meets the other side, forming a half-moon. Pinch the edges to seal together. For the remaining 2: Top one side of dough with pepperoni slices. Top the pepperoni with cheese mixture, to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Fold untopped side over, and pinch edges together to seal.
- 8. Brush the tops of calzones with the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil, and sprinkle the tops with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- 9. Bake 25 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing in half (or wait until party to slice); serve warm or at room temperature.
- Nutritional analysis for Pepperoni and Cheese Calzone: Calories 270 (31% from fat); Fat 10g (sat 3g, mono 3g, poly 1g); Cholesterol 27mg; Protein 14g; Carbohydrate 36g; Sugars 3g; Fiber 1g; Iron 3mg; Sodium 582mg; Calcium 133mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note