Calypso rice and beans
Community Recipe from
- 1 1/2 cup(s) dried black beans
- 2 cup(s) chopped onion (minus 2 tbs)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) chopped celery
- 2 tablespoon(s) minced seeded jalapeno
- 1 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 6 clove(s) garlic, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 1/4 cup(s) uncooked basmati rice
- 5 1/4 cup(s) water
- 3/4 cup(s) chopped red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 3 cup(s) diced pineapple
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro
- Sort and wash beans, and place in a medium saucepan. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans, and return to pan. Cover beans with 2 inches of water. Bring beans to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain beans, and set aside.
- To prepare rice, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, celery, jalapeño, salt, garlic, and bay leaves; sauté 4 minutes. Add rice; cook 1 minute. Add 5 1/4 cups water; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Add beans; cover, and simmer 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
- Stir in the bell peppers, black pepper, cumin, and coriander, and cook 6 minutes. Stir in pineapple and cilantro; cook 2 minutes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by mrspeterman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Calypso rice and beans Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Side Dishes/Vegetables
More Recipes for Main Dishes