I love this sandwich! I do leave off the eggs and radishes. It's probably good with it, I just haven't tried it. Been making this for years and really enjoy it as a less mayonnaise alternative tuna sandwich.
California Niçoise Sandwich
Inspired by the classic French salad, this fancy tuna sandwich takes a Western turn with sourdough and avocados. Prep Time: about 30 minutes. Notes: We love this sandwich on crusty sourdough, but it can be a bit messy to eat. For a tidier bite, try soft Italian-style bread. Make up to 3 hours ahead; keep well chilled until ready to serve.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 495
- Calories from fat: 51%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Sodium: 881mg
- Cholesterol: 92mg
- 1 baguette-style loaf, about 20 inches long and 3 to 4 inches wide
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cans (6 1/2 to 7 oz. each) oil-packed tuna, drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1. Slice loaf in half lengthwise. Scoop out about 3/4 of the bread from the top and bottom halves to create pockets; discard scooped-out bread.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, garlic, and lemon peel. Spread generously over inside of loaf's top half.
- 3. In a medium bowl, stir together the tuna, tarragon, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bottom half of loaf.
- 4. Top tuna mixture with radish slices, then the tomato, eggs, and avocado slices. Spoon olives over all and top with the other loaf half. To serve, slice into 6 equal portions.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
- Wine pairing: A fresh, lively dry rosé--preferably a Grenache--is great with this sandwich; licorice in the wine can echo the tarragon in the sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note