Chorizo, cabbage, and kale simmer together for layers of flavor in this hearty, cool-weather soup created by Eugene P. Baumann.
Yield: Makes about 4 quarts; 10 to 12 main-dish servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 326
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Sodium: 613mg
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- 1 pound firm chorizo sausage
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 10 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 3 1/2 pounds thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and diced (1/2 in.)
- 1 carrot (about 5 oz.), peeled and diced (1/2 in.)
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound kale
- 5 cups shredded cabbage (about half of a 1-lb. head)
- 1. Cut chorizo into 1/4-inch-thick slices. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir chorizo often until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to towels to drain. Spoon out and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat in pan.
- 2. Add onion and garlic to pan and stir often until limp, about 5 minutes. Return chorizo to pan and add chicken and beef broth, potatoes, carrot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes and carrot are tender when pierced, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, rinse and drain kale. Cut out and discard tough center ribs; chop leaves crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide slices. Add kale and cabbage to soup and stir occasionally until tender to bite, 8 to 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews