- 1 pound linguisa (Portuguese sausages)
- 1 onion (8 oz.), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 in. long)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 pound collard greens or kale
- 1 can (15 oz.) cannellini (white beans), rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Cut sausages into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- 2. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir sausages often until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausages to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 1 teaspoon fat from pan.
- 3. Add onion and garlic to pan. Stir often over medium-high heat until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Add broth to pan. Tie cinnamon stick, bay leaf, and allspice in cheesecloth and add to broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 5. Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Cut out and discard tough parts of collard stems. Rinse leaves well, drain, and stack. Cut stack in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into thin strips.
- 6. Add collard greens, potatoes, and beans to broth; cover and bring to a boil.
- 7. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes. Add sausages and continue simmering, covered, until potatoes are tender when pierced, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Remove and discard wrapped spices.
- 8. Ladle soup into bowls. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note