- 1 pound firm chorizo sausage
- 1 onion (about 8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 10 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
- 3 1/2 pounds thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and diced (1/2 in.)
- 1 carrot (about 5 oz.), peeled and diced (1/2 in.)
- About 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 pound kale
- 5 cups shredded cabbage (about half of a 1-lb. head)
- calories 326
- caloriesfromfat 41 %
- protein 20 g
- fat 15 g
- satfat 5.5 g
- carbohydrate 27 g
- fiber 3.4 g
- sodium 613 mg
- cholesterol 33 mg
How to Make It
Cut chorizo into 1/4-inch-thick slices. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir chorizo often until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to towels to drain. Spoon out and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat in pan.
Add onion and garlic to pan and stir often until limp, about 5 minutes. Return chorizo to pan and add chicken and beef broth, potatoes, carrot, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes and carrot are tender when pierced, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, rinse and drain kale. Cut out and discard tough center ribs; chop leaves crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide slices. Add kale and cabbage to soup and stir occasionally until tender to bite, 8 to 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.