- 2 1/2 cups dried navy beans
- 1/4 pound Spanish chorizo
- 1 (8-ounce) package cubed smoked ham (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups water
- 6 packets ham-flavored concentrate*
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
- 2 cups peeled and cubed Yukon gold potatoes (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
How to Make It
Sort and wash beans. Place in a large Dutch oven with water to cover 2 inches above beans; cover and let soak 8 hours. Drain, discarding water.
Remove casings from chorizo, and slice diagonally. Sauté chorizo and ham in olive oil 5 minutes or until meats begin to brown. Add onion, and sauté 10 minutes; add garlic, and sauté 30 seconds.
Stir in flour. Gradually add water, whisking constantly until sauce is smooth. Stir in beans, ham concentrate, and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach, and remove from heat. Spoon soup into individual bowls.
*For testing purposes, we used Goya ham concentrate.