Caldillo - Green Chile Stew
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 whole(s) bay leaf (fresh if possible)
- 8 ounce(s) canned diced tomatoes
- 1 pound(s) cubed country style pork ribs
- 2 whole(s) cubed large potatoes
- 1.5 cup(s) diced yellow onions
- 2 teaspoon(s) dry oregano
- 2 tablespoon(s) flour
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh cilantro
- 13 ounce(s) frozen green chiles
- 2 clove(s) garlic
- 3 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 3 tablespoon(s) olive or canola oil
- 2 cup(s) stock (vegetable or chicken)
- Trim country style pork ribs of all fat and then cube it. Add the reserved fat to a large pan and render it. The remaining fried pork (similar to chicharrones) can be left in the pan, or it can be removed and saved or discarded. You may well have enough rendered pork fat to do away with the olive or canola oil in the recipe.
- Add the diced onions to the pan and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Next add the minced garlic to the onions and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile lightly coat the stew meat with flour.
- Add the dredged meat to the pan and brown well. Add the green chiles and any liquid they released when thawing. Simmer for about 5 minutes and then add the canned tomatoes (drained). Also add a bay leaf, the 2 remaining teaspoons of cumin, and 2 cups of stock. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Next add the potatoes and more water or stock if there isn't enough. Cook the potatoes for about 30 minutes, until tender. Add salt to taste.
- Add 1/2 Cup of chopped cilantro off the heat, as desired.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ekatua and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note