Calamari with Shallots and Tamarind
- 1 pound calamari tubes, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- Hot cooked basmati rice
- Combine calamari and next 6 ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine tamarind paste and 1/4 cup hot water. Strain out any fibers; set paste aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Add the calamari mixture and tamarind mixture; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until calamari is opaque. Serve calamari and broth over hot cooked basmati rice.
- Serve Belgian wheat beers such as Blue Moon, Hoegaarden, and Allagash White. Their herbal and citrus notes will counter the tart tamarind.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes