Yield: 8 servings
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Cocktail sauce
- Cut the bodies of larger squid into 1/2-inch rings. Smaller squid should be fried whole. Make sure the squid have been rinsed and patted as dry as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 200°. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and set it in the oven.
- Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches in a stockpot or Dutch oven, place it over medium-high heat, and heat it to 365°. Salt and pepper the squid. Place the flour in a shallow bowl.
- When the oil reaches 365°, drop several pieces of squid into flour and toss to coat fully. Shake off excess flour, then fry in the hot oil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Using a wire-mesh strainer, transfer the squid to the wire rack. Continue frying, always maintaining the temperature and not crowding the pot. Serve immediately, with cocktail sauce for dipping, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers