Cake Mix from Scratch
- 2 1/3 cups Cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- I used cake flour instead of all-purpose. I recommend using cake flour as I makes it more fluffy and tender. If you're going to use all-purpose, sift it, then measure it out. This takes care of the density problem some reviewers have had.
- Also, I didn't follow the directions. When making cakes, you don't want to disturb the flour too much, otherwise it forms gluten strands which toughens the cake, and it comes out to be more like a bread. Here's what I did:
- In a large bowl, combine oil milk and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed (room temperature is best).
- Gradually add flour mixture to wet ingredients until just blended. Fold in egg whites.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Mine baked for about 30-35 minutes. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven.
- Variation for a White Cake: Prepare as for the basic cake except use 3 egg whites for the 2 whole eggs. Whites may be beaten separately and added for a lighter cake.
- Variation for a Chocolate Cake: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder to the basic cake mix prior to adding the milk.
- Variation for a Spice Cake: Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice to the basic cake mix.
- Variation for a Pineapple Upside Down Cake: Melt 1/2 cup butter in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Add 2/3 cup brown sugar, stirring into the butter. Arrange pineapple slices in the pan. Top with the basic (yellow cake) mix recipe. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, cool 5 minutes, and invert to serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by ZacAndAmber and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cake Mix from Scratch Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Cakes/Frostings