Awesome recipe, used red instead of yellow bell, chilled 2 hours before serving. Glass of Rose wine.
Cajun-Spiced Soft-Shell Crab Sandwich with Yellow Pepper and Caper Aioli
This is a great first recipe for those timid about cooking soft-shell crabs.Simply sprinkle the crabs with Cajun seasoning, dredge in breadcrumbs, and cook in a skillet for about 6 minutes. Serve on Italian bread and top wtih a creamy bell pepper-mayonnaise sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 474
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 6.7g
- Protein: 34g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- Iron: 6.2mg
- Sodium: 813mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 (5 to 6-ounce) soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon salt-free Cajun seasoning (such as Spice Hunter)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 4 (3-ounce) pieces Italian bread, cut in half lengthwise and toasted
- 4 curly leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 (1/4-inch-thick) slices red onion
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, and discard seeds and membranes. Place bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet, and flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel.
- Place bell pepper, mayonnaise, basil, capers, salt, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle crabs with Cajun seasoning. Dredge crabs in cornmeal. Add crabs to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side, gently pressing body and legs against pan.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise mixture evenly over each slice of bread. Arrange 1 crab over each bottom half of bread. Top each crab with 1 lettuce leaf and 1 red onion slice. Cover with top halves of bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note