Based on the reviews below, I made several changes. First, I used half a 16 oz box of fettuccine which was plenty of pasta and gave it more sauce. I used 1 can of ff evaporated milk and 2%milk, and added some sherry. I used a heaping TBS of zazarans creole mustard and worcester sauce. I cut the chicken into pieces, seasoned it with cajun seasoning and Emeril essence, then sauted it as directed. Finally i used an Italian blend of shredded cheese. The sauce thickened nicely for me. It was ok. Still bland for me, so I can't imagine what it tasted like as directed. I probably won't try it again since there are other similar dishes I have liked better.
Cajun-Spiced Chicken Fettuccine
Instead of plating individual servings of this pasta dish, bake it as a casserole that guests can spoon out for themselves at the table. While the dish bakes, toss together a simple salad to complete the meal. Leftover chicken would also work well in this recipe.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 469
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 41.6g
- Carbohydrate: 54.2g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 632mg
- Calcium: 233mg
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Creole mustard
- 3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, divided
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 8 cups hot cooked fettuccine (about 1 pound uncooked pasta)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with Cajun seasoning. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan, and cook 7 minutes on each side or until done. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch-thick slices; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and next 4 ingredients (bell pepper through garlic); sauté 7 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle with flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the Worcestershire and mustard; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove from heat; stir in 3/4 cup green onions, 6 tablespoons cheese, and 3 tablespoons parsley. Add chicken and pasta to sauce mixture; toss well to combine.
- Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 1 tablespoon parsley. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note