Cajun Shrimp-and-Crab Sauce
- 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package andouille sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh lump crabmeat, drained and picked
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked grits
How to Make It
Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Set aside.
Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove sausage, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pan. Set sausage aside.
Sauté onion and bell pepper in drippings and hot oil 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute or until flour is browned.
Whisk in chicken broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in shrimp, and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in sausage, crabmeat, and next 4 ingredients; cook, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately over hot cooked grits.