Wonderful! Easy to make. I would either half the grit recipe or double the shrimp recipe to even out the proportions. I added two cans of chopped green chilis to the grits and they were even better!
Cajun Sausage Shrimp and Grits
More From Southern Living
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (31/40 count)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits
- 1. Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
- 2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until flour is a light caramel color (about 6 minutes).
- 3. Add onion, bell pepper, and celery, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add sausage, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, salt, and pepper, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 4. Stir in shrimp, cream, and green onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve over Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes