Cajun Sausage Shrimp and Grits
- 1 1/2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (31/40 count)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits
How to Make It
Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; gradually whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until flour is a light caramel color (about 6 minutes).
Add onion, bell pepper, and celery, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Add sausage, and cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, salt, and pepper, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Bring to a light boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Stir in shrimp, cream, and green onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Serve over Creamy Cheddar Cheese Grits.