I made this tonight and followed the recipe exactly except that I changed the cooking order to onion, zucchini, then pepper. Very tasty with a good, but not overwhelming, Cajun flavor. I like stir-frys as an appetizing way to get my veggies in and I will definitely make this one again.
Cajun Sausage, Peppers, and Onions Over Brown Rice
Prep: 30 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 369
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 27g
- Carbohydrate: 47g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 130mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 685mg
- Calcium: 67mg
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 orange bell peppers, sliced
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 pound precooked andouille-style chicken sausage, cut into rounds
- 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Heat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil; cook onion 2 minutes. Add pepper; cook 2 minutes. Stir in zucchini; cook 2 minutes. Add Cajun seasoning and 1/2 cup broth; cook 2 minutes. Transfer to bowl; cover.
- 2. Add 1/2 teaspoon oil to wok; cook sausage 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl; cover.
- 3. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil to wok; cook shrimp 3 minutes. Add remaining 1/2 cup broth, rice, vegetables, and sausage; cook until hot. Top with parsley; serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes