This was very good! I used chorizo instead of andouille and it was still delicious. It was spicy, so keep that in mind and adjust seasoning if needed. We will definitely make this again and again.
Photo: John O'Hagan; Styling: Mindi Shapiro Levine
More From Southern Living
- 5 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 1/4 cups sliced andouille sausage
- 2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning, divided
- 12 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Hot sauce
- 1. Melt 1 tsp. butter in a 10-inch nonstick heavy skillet over medium-high heat; add sausage, and cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 7 minutes or until sausage is well browned. Add tomatoes, next 4 ingredients, and 1/2 tsp. Creole seasoning. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and most of liquid has evaporated. Remove from skillet.
- 2. Whisk together eggs, parsley, and remaining 1/2 tsp. Creole seasoning.
- 3. Melt 1 tsp. butter in skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat, rotating pan to evenly coat bottom. Pour one-fourth of egg mixture into skillet. As egg mixture starts to cook, gently lift edges of omelet with a spatula, and tilt pan so uncooked portion flows underneath. Cook until almost set (about 1 minute). Cover skillet, and cook 1 minute.
- 4. Sprinkle 1 side of omelet with one-fourth each sausage mixture and cheese. Fold omelet in half over filling. Slide omelet onto a serving plate; cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Repeat procedure 3 times with remaining butter, egg mixture, sausage mixture, and cheese. Serve with hot sauce.
- Cajun Omelet With Shrimp: Prepare recipe as directed in Step 1. Stir 1 cup chopped large, peeled and deveined raw shrimp (21/30 count) into sausage mixture. Cook 1 minute or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove from skillet. Proceed with recipe as directed. Prep: 25 min., Cook: 23 min.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes