My issue with the recipe is my own issue - i'm too cheap to get real crab so i used the fake crab. Which i would not recommend, or if you do, use the cheap stuff when you put it in the processor and the good stuff for leaving chunky. The cajun spice gave it a nice kick, but trying to spray the panko on top with pam made it spray all over! Don't think it helped anything! I thought the flavor was good, but the texture was definitely weird and the color... I did the like the option of making it the day prior, that helped with my party prep!
Cajun Hot Crab Dip
Spoon this dip into a baking dish up to a day ahead, but top with panko and chives just before baking. If it's chilled, leave the dish out at room temperature while the oven preheats. Scoop into multiple bowls that you can set at different grazing stations.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- Calories: 95
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 8.4g
- Carbohydrate: 2g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 253mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons panko
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add shallots and garlic to pan; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Place 1 cup crab in a food processor. Add the shallot mixture, 1/4 cup water, pepper sauce, and Cajun seasoning to crab; process until smooth. Spoon mixture into a large bowl, and stir in remaining crab, mayonnaise, and the next 5 ingredients (through black pepper).
- 3. Transfer the mixture to a 1-quart glass or ceramic casserole dish coated lightly with cooking spray. Combine panko and chives in a small bowl; sprinkle over crab mixture. Coat panko mixture with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note