This was very good. Made as written, but left out the okra because I didn't hve any. Will definitely add it next time. This is a warm, filling winter dish; husband really liked it too. Served with roasted brussels sprouts. Good enough to make again this winter.
Cajun Chicken Cassoulet
Cajun Chicken Cassoulet is our Southern take on the classic slow-cooked French dish. In this one-pot meal, we incorporate Cajun ingredients such as Cajun smoked sausage, seasoning, and sliced okra--and our cassoulet doesn't cook all day.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 1 (16-oz.) package Cajun smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 skinned and boned chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (16-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Toasted Herbed Breadcrumb Topping (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cook sausage in a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Cook chicken in hot drippings over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from Dutch oven. Add onion and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans, next 4 ingredients, chicken, and sausage; cover with lid.
- 3. Bake, covered, at 400° for 40 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, sprinkle with Toasted Herbed Breadcrumb Topping.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note