I've prepared this cassoulet several times. It's delicious!! I really enjoy this Southern Living recipe. Comments: I'm sure that you meant 6 - skinless/skinned, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 pounds), because 6 - skinless/skinned, boneless/boned chicken thighs weigh only about 1.5 pounds. After the initial saute, 2-3 minutes per side to brown, baking covered for 40 minutes in a 400 degree oven has worked fine, even with the bone-in. Also, the first time that I prepared this recipe I didn't get a lot of pan drippings from the Johnsonville Smoked Andouille sausage, so this time I added 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to the Dutch oven before browning the chicken. I find the words: "skinned" and "boned" to be confusing. I'm sure that some readers interpret them to mean: has skin, has bone. The following terms seem easier to understand: skinless or with skin, and boneless or bone-in
Cajun Chicken Cassoulet
Cajun Chicken Cassoulet is our Southern take on the classic slow-cooked French dish. In this one-pot meal, we incorporate Cajun ingredients such as Cajun smoked sausage, seasoning, and sliced okra--and our cassoulet doesn't cook all day.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 1 (16-oz.) package Cajun smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 skinned and boned chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (16-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package frozen sliced okra, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- Toasted Herbed Breadcrumb Topping (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Cook sausage in a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Cook chicken in hot drippings over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from Dutch oven. Add onion and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans, next 4 ingredients, chicken, and sausage; cover with lid.
- 3. Bake, covered, at 400° for 40 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, sprinkle with Toasted Herbed Breadcrumb Topping.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note