Made this with diced tomatoes and quinoa. I added cumin (a bit more than 1 tsp.) and used Frank's Buffalo chicken hot sauce. My husband thought it was good as did I. Makes a huge amount of food. It would probably be good without any meat--my sister is vegan so this could be a choice when she comes to dinner without the hot dogs or with tofu substituted.
Cajun Beans and Rice
Whether it's a special occasion or just an everyday meal, this Cajun-style dish makes a great side dish or even a main dish. Rich in fiber, the canned beans deliver plenty of lean protein, too!
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound turkey hot dogs or other low-fat smoked sausage, cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) Cajun-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) navy or great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup thinly-sliced green onions
- may substitute stewed tomatoes
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the hot dogs, onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook until the meat is browned and the onions are tender, stirring often, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the rice, tomatoes, kidney beans, navy beans, oregano and hot pepper sauce. Heat through, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions, and serve immediately.
- Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories 220; Total Fat 2g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 60mg; Carbohydrate 43g; Fiber 8g; Protein 11g; Vitamin A %DV; Vitamin C 30%DV; Calcium 6%DV; Iron 10%DV
- Daily Value
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CannedFoodFan and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note