Café Pasqual's Three-Chili Salsa
Notes: This dark red salsa from Café Pasqual's has significant heat.
This recipe goes with Taco Bar for a Party
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 7.3
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Protein: 0.3g
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 1.4g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 74mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 3 dried guajillo chilies (about 1 oz. total)
- 3 dried chiles de arbol (1/10 to 1/5 oz. total)
- 1/3 pound tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and halved
- 1 firm-ripe tomato (1/2 lb.), rinsed, cored, and quartered
- 1 fresh jalapeño chili (1 oz.), rinsed and stemmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- About 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Mexican or regular oregano
- 1. Trim and discard stems from guajillos and chiles de arbol; discard seeds from guajillos. Rinse chilies.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, combine dried chilies, tomatillos, tomato, jalapeño, onion, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 cup water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; stir frequently until dried chilies are limp, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over low heat, stir cumin, cloves, and oregano until fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- 4. Combine chili mixture and spices in a blender. Whirl until coarsely puréed. Add salt to taste. Pour into a bowl.
- Nutritional analysis per tablespoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Café Pasqual's Three-Chili Salsa Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This