I am not a dessert maker, but this recipe made my guests think that I was. This was so delicious!!! Growing up with parents from South America, flan was a favorite dessert of mine and this was so easy and so delicious. My only error was that I left it in the oven after I turned it off because I thought it was too jiggly. I then refrigerated it for 5 hours. This made the top layer a bit thicker, but it was fine. I topped it with Caramel flavored whip cream infused with alcohol that I found at the liquor store. Yum yum yum.
Café Con Leche Flan
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 441
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 8g
- Protein: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 65g
- Fiber: 0g
- Cholesterol: 104mg
- Sodium: 294mg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs plus 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder mixed with 1 tsp. hot water
- 2 (12 oz.) cans evaporated milk
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Simmering water, for water bath
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small, heavy saucepan, stir together sugar and 5 Tbsp. water; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, washing down any sugar crystals on side of pan with a wet pastry brush, until sugar dissolves, 5 minutes. To make caramel, cook, without stirring, to a deep caramel color, 8 minutes. Pour caramel into a round 9-by- 2-inch cake pan with straight sides. Using pot holders, tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites and espresso. Stir in evaporated milk, condensed milk, vanilla extract and salt until smooth. Strain into a large glass measure. Place a roasting pan in oven, and carefully place cake pan inside roasting pan. Pour custard into cake pan. Pour simmering water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cake pan. Bake until jiggly and a small, sharp knife inserted into custard comes out fairly clean, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Carefully transfer cake pan to a rack to cool. Refrigerate, loosely covered, until cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Run a table knife around inside edge of cake pan and shake pan gently to loosen flan. Invert flan onto a large platter with a rim to catch caramel.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note