Café Con Leche Custard Cups
Photo: Southern Living
Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
More From Southern Living
Cool: 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 233
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 41.1g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 63.4mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 136mg
- Calcium: 233mg
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 (14-oz.) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup thawed reduced-fat whipped topping
- Garnishes: chopped and whole chocolate-covered espresso beans, 100-calorie shortbread cookies
- 1. Combine flour and salt in a 2-qt. heavy nonaluminum saucepan. Whisk in reduced-fat milk and next 3 ingredients, whisking until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- 2. Fill a large bowl with ice; place pan in ice, and whisk custard occasionally until completely cool (about 30 minutes).
- 3. Spoon 1/2 cup custard into each of 8 (5-oz.) cups or glasses. Top each with 1 to 2 Tbsp. whipped topping, filling completely. Scrape top with a knife to level whipped topping. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: To make ahead, pour cooled custard into a gallon-size zip-top plastic bag, gently pressing out excess air (to prevent a film from forming). Seal bag, and chill up to 24 hours. To serve, snip off 1 corner of bag, and pipe custard into serving cups.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Nabisco 100 Calorie Packs Lorna Doone Shortbread Cookie Crisps.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note