- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 (14-oz.) can fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup thawed reduced-fat whipped topping
- Garnishes: chopped and whole chocolate-covered espresso beans, 100-calorie shortbread cookies
- calories 233
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 3.5 g
- satfat 2.1 g
- monofat 1 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 7.9 g
- carbohydrate 41.1 g
- fiber 0.2 g
- cholesterol 63.4 mg
- iron 0.5 mg
- sodium 136 mg
- calcium 233 mg
How to Make It
Combine flour and salt in a 2-qt. heavy nonaluminum saucepan. Whisk in reduced-fat milk and next 3 ingredients, whisking until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
Fill a large bowl with ice; place pan in ice, and whisk custard occasionally until completely cool (about 30 minutes).
Spoon 1/2 cup custard into each of 8 (5-oz.) cups or glasses. Top each with 1 to 2 Tbsp. whipped topping, filling completely. Scrape top with a knife to level whipped topping. Garnish, if desired.
Note: To make ahead, pour cooled custard into a gallon-size zip-top plastic bag, gently pressing out excess air (to prevent a film from forming). Seal bag, and chill up to 24 hours. To serve, snip off 1 corner of bag, and pipe custard into serving cups.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Nabisco 100 Calorie Packs Lorna Doone Shortbread Cookie Crisps.