I always was scared of Caesar salad because I thought it was a fat-laden meal that just doesn't fit into my diet. However, this dressing is amazing, lower fat, and doesn't miss a beat on the taste. I used fish sauce in place of the anchovy fillets, and egg beaters instead of the egg yolks. The homemade croÃ»tons break up the romaine and add texture. I served it with lemon spaghetti (lemon rind & juice, s & p, red pepper, and Parmesan cheese), as recommended in the magazine. I think this salad would fool people into thinking you got it from a restaurant. With chicken or shrimp...mmmm...I'm getting hungry just thinking about it... :o)
Add grilled shrimp or chicken to make this an entrée salad, or serve it with your favorite pasta toss. Egg yolks enrich and bind this tasty dressing. Be sure to look for pasteurized eggs since they are not cooked.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 205
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 496mg
- Calcium: 70mg
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups (1-inch) cubed French bread (about 4 ounces)
- 1 (2-ounce) can anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 large pasteurized egg yolks
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 cups torn romaine hearts
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine 1 tablespoon oil and bread in a large bowl, tossing to coat. Arrange bread in a single layer on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- 3. Pat anchovy fillets dry with a paper towel. Combine fillets, cheese, and next 3 ingredients (through garlic) in a blender; process until smooth. With blender on, add remaining 1/4 cup oil, 1 tablespoon at a time; process until smooth. Combine croutons and lettuce in a large bowl. Drizzle lettuce and croutons evenly with dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle salad mixture evenly with salt; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note