Made this last night. So good! This is a great meal for a dinner with friends.
Cabernet Short Ribs with Parmesan Polenta
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Serve with a chunk of bread to soak up all the sauce.
Yield: Serves 8
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 21 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 483
- Fat: 19.1g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 34.3g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Iron: 5.2mg
- Sodium: 694mg
- Calcium: 210mg
- 16 (3-ounce) bone-in beef short ribs, trimmed
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 1/2 cups cabernet sauvignon or other dry red wine
- 1 1/4 cups lower-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup water
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to pan. Add 8 ribs, and sauté for 6 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove ribs. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and 8 ribs. Add onion and the next 5 ingredients (through rosemary) to pan; sauté 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine to pan, and bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook for 13 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3. Add broth to pan, and bring to a boil. Return ribs to pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours, turning ribs after 45 minutes. Remove ribs from pan, and strain cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve over a bowl. Discard the solids. Skim fat; discard. Return cooking liquid to pan. Combine flour and 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl, stirring well. Add to pan, and bring to a boil. Cook for 11 minutes or until reduced to about 1 cup. Stir in vinegar.
- 4. To prepare gremolata, combine 1/3 cup parsley, 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind, and minced garlic.
- 5. To prepare polenta, bring 3 cups milk, 1 cup water, 5/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper to a boil over medium heat. Slowly stir in 1 cup polenta. Cook 5 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese. Place 1/2 cup polenta in each of 8 shallow bowls, and top each serving with 2 ribs, 2 tablespoons sauce, and about 2 teaspoons gremolata.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes