Wife loved it!
Cabernet-Balsamic Burgers with Sautéed Mushrooms & Onions
Grilled cheeseburgers get an irresistible upgrade with creamy blue cheese and caramelized onions spiked with jammy red wine and tart-sweet vinegar. A portion of the tender onions are mixed into the patties to help keep the lean beef moist.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 395
- Fat: 17.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Protein: 29.2g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 69mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 756mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups thinly sliced red onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup cabernet sauvignon or other dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 (1 1/2-ounce) whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1 1/2 cups baby arugula
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and thyme; cook 17 minutes or until golden and very tender, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to medium-high; add wine, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook for 6 minutes or until the liquid almost evaporates, stirring occasionally. Remove onion mixture from pan.
- 2. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 3 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sauté for 8 minutes or until mushrooms brown and liquid mostly evaporates.
- 3. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 4. Coarsely chop 1 cup onion mixture, and stir chopped onion mixture into beef. Divide the beef mixture into 6 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized indentation in center of each patty. Sprinkle the patties with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place patties on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill for 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- 5. Combine mayonnaise, blue cheese, and garlic in a bowl, and mash well with a fork. Spread the top halves of buns evenly with mayonnaise mixture. Arrange 1/4 cup arugula on bottom half of each bun; top each bottom half of bun with 1 patty, about 2 tablespoons remaining onion mixture, about 1/4 cup mushrooms, and top half of bun.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note