- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 thyme sprig
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 (15.8-ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- calories 237
- caloriesfromfat 32 %
- fat 8.5 g
- satfat 3 g
- protein 11.2 g
- carbohydrate 29.3 g
- fiber 8 g
- cholesterol 15 mg
- iron 1.8 mg
- sodium 521 mg
- calcium 223 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add cabbage and next 7 ingredients. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar; cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; discard thyme sprig. Stir in beans. Spoon cabbage mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and chopped thyme; toss well. Sprinkle crumb mixture over casserole, and lightly coat crumb mixture with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Note: Whole wheat breadcrumbs may be substituted for the panko, if desired.