I followed the recipe exactly except for using brown instant rice which was delicious and added peeled diced apples to the sauerkraut. It was very good and my boyfriend who is not a cabbage person appreciated it.
In this hearty slow-cooker recipe, pork, cabbage, sauerkraut, and rice blend perfectly together to create a well-balanced entrée.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 cabbage rolls and about 1/2 cup sauerkraut mixture)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 287
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 17.7g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 780mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- 12 large green cabbage leaves
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound 50%-less-fat pork breakfast sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.4-ounce) can shredded sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1. Cook cabbage leaves in boiling water 3 to 4 minutes or just until tender. Drain.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Remove pan from heat; stir in rice. Cool 15 minutes.
- 3. Combine rice mixture, pork, sausage, and pepper. Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture into center of 1 cabbage leaf. Fold in edges of leaves. Starting at stem end, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Repeat procedure with remaining leaves and filling.
- 4. Combine sauerkraut and caraway seeds. Spoon half of sauerkraut mixture into a 4-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Top with half of cabbage rolls, seam sides down. Repeat layers with remaining sauerkraut mixture and cabbage rolls.
- 5. Combine tomato juice, brown sugar, and tomato paste, stirring with a whisk. Pour tomato juice mixture over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Serve rolls with sauerkraut mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes