This recipe isn't right. It calls for 6 cups of water, but in the instructions it only uses 4. Besides that, 6 cups of water is not nearly enough. I used 14 to 16 cups of water and it was still basically a stew and not a soup, but I couldn't possibly fit more water in my huge pot. As far as the taste, it has potential, but it wasn't great.
Cabbage and Lentil Soup
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 234
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 8.9g
- Sodium: 103mg
- Cholesterol: 2.3mg
- 1 pound (2 cups) lentils
- 6 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 tablespoons cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head green cabbage (about 1lb.), coarsely shredded
- 6 to 8 leaves curly kale (optional; 6 to 7 in. long), stems trimmed, chopped
- 6 carrots (about 1 1/2 lb. total), peeled and sliced
- 2 firm-ripe tomatoes (3/4 to 1 lb. total), rinsed, cored, and chopped
- 6 to 8 green onions
- 1. Sort lentils and discard debris. Rinse lentils and put in a 6- to 8-quart pan. Add 4 cups water, broth, cumin seed, olive oil, cabbage, kale, carrots and tomatoes.
- 2. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and flavors well blended, about 1 hour.
- 3.Trim ends from onions and chop onions. Ladle soup into bowls, add onions, and season to taste with salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews