- 1 pound (2 cups) lentils
- 6 cups chicken broth or water
- 2 tablespoons cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head green cabbage (about 1lb.), coarsely shredded
- 6 to 8 leaves curly kale (optional; 6 to 7 in. long), stems trimmed, chopped
- 6 carrots (about 1 1/2 lb. total), peeled and sliced
- 2 firm-ripe tomatoes (3/4 to 1 lb. total), rinsed, cored, and chopped
- 6 to 8 green onions
- calories 234
- caloriesfromfat 12 %
- protein 16 g
- fat 3.2 g
- satfat 0.7 g
- carbohydrate 38 g
- fiber 8.9 g
- sodium 103 mg
- cholesterol 2.3 mg
How to Make It
Sort lentils and discard debris. Rinse lentils and put in a 6- to 8-quart pan. Add 4 cups water, broth, cumin seed, olive oil, cabbage, kale, carrots and tomatoes.
Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and flavors well blended, about 1 hour.
Trim ends from onions and chop onions. Ladle soup into bowls, add onions, and season to taste with salt.