Cabbage and Fennel Soup with Toasted Garlic Chips
Create multiple flavor levels in this satisfying soup by cooking the vegetables in the oil that's left from toasting the garlic chips.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 320
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 7.6g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 9.1g
- Sodium: 1286mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, sliced very thin
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, ends trimmed, halved and sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 qt. vegetable broth
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into chunks
- 8 small red thin-skinned potatoes, cubed
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring often, until golden, 4 minutes. Strain, reserving garlic and 3 tbsp. oil.
- 2. Put the 3 tbsp. oil in a large pot. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and fennel; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth, 2 cups water, the cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, cumin, and salt. Cover and bring to a simmer; cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Top soup with fennel fronds, parsley, and garlic chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note