Really good, very light and healthy. I used olive oil and I only had yukon gold potatoes, but it turned out great.
Cabbage and Fennel Soup with Toasted Garlic Chips
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 320
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 7.6g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 9.1g
- Sodium: 1286mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, sliced very thin
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, ends trimmed, halved and sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 qt. vegetable broth
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into chunks
- 8 small red thin-skinned potatoes, cubed
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring often, until golden, 4 minutes. Strain, reserving garlic and 3 tbsp. oil.
- 2. Put the 3 tbsp. oil in a large pot. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and fennel; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth, 2 cups water, the cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, cumin, and salt. Cover and bring to a simmer; cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Top soup with fennel fronds, parsley, and garlic chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews