- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, sliced very thin
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, ends trimmed, halved and sliced, fronds reserved
- 1 qt. vegetable broth
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into chunks
- 8 small red thin-skinned potatoes, cubed
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- calories 320
- caloriesfromfat 28 %
- protein 7.6 g
- fat 10 g
- satfat 1.1 g
- carbohydrate 55 g
- fiber 9.1 g
- sodium 1286 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring often, until golden, 4 minutes. Strain, reserving garlic and 3 tbsp. oil.
Put the 3 tbsp. oil in a large pot. Heat over medium heat. Add onion and fennel; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add broth, 2 cups water, the cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes, cumin, and salt. Cover and bring to a simmer; cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Top soup with fennel fronds, parsley, and garlic chips.