- 1 or 2 red Fresno or serrano chiles, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons Vietnamese fish sauce
- 5 tablespoons Japanese unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 medium carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced fennel, including stalks and fronds
- 1 qt. thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup torn mint leaves
- 2/3 cup toasted cashew pieces
- calories 73
- caloriesfromfat 53 %
- protein 2.2 g
- fat 4.3 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- carbohydrate 7.5 g
- fiber 1.5 g
- sodium 318 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Pound chiles, garlic, 1/2 tsp. sugar, and salt into paste in a mortar, or in a blender. Transfer paste to a small bowl and add remaining 1 tsp. sugar, the fish sauce, and rice vinegar.
Combine carrot, fennel, cabbage, and mint in a large bowl. Pour dressing over the vegetables, tossing to coat evenly. Sprinkle with cashews just before serving.
Make ahead: Up to 2 days, slaw mixture and dressing. Just before serving, combine with nuts.