Buzz's Pot of Beans
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1/2 pound dried black beans
- 1/2 pound dried red kidney beans
- 14 cups water
- 6 cups chopped onion, divided
- 10 garlic cloves
- 3 bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Combine beans and water to cover 3 inches in a large Dutch oven; soak 8 hours. Drain.
- Combine beans, 14 cups water, 4 cups chopped onion, garlic, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 hour. Add remaining chopped onion, and cook, covered, 2 hours or until beans are tender, adding more water, as needed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note