More From Southern Living
Fry: 6 Minutes
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 pound malanga, peeled and cut into 4-inch chunks
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon anise extract (optional)
- All-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Bring sweet potatoes and malanga with water to cover and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, and cook 20 minutes or just until tender. (Do not cook until mushy.) Drain well. Cool; peel sweet potatoes. Grate malanga and sweet potatoes into a large bowl.
- Stir together 1 cup flour, baking soda, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Stir in beaten egg yolks; gently stir in grated potatoes and malanga. If desired, stir in anise extract.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. With floured hands, roll each piece into a ball; roll each ball into an 8-inch rope on a floured surface, adding additional flour to hands and surface as needed. Shape each rope into a figure eight, pinching ends together.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Fry buñuelos, in batches, 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain well on paper towels. Sprinkle with sugar; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables