Delicious, love lemons. So easy but hard to eat just a few at a time!! A definite repeat.
Buttery Lemon Squares
With a buttery crust and custard-like filling, these lemon squares taste as good as they look. A dusting of powdered sugar completes the bar cookie recipe.
Yield: Makes 24 bars
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 205
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 2.4g
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 112mg
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 large eggs
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in 2 cups flour until dough is no longer crumbly. Pat into a ball.
- 2. Press dough evenly into a buttered and floured 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350° oven until golden, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a food processor, or in a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, whirl or beat granulated sugar, remaining 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, grated lemon peel, lemon juice, and eggs to blend. Pour onto hot crust.
- 4. Bake until lemon mixture is no longer runny in the center (cut to test), 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and dust with remaining 2 tablespoons powdered sugar.
- 5. Let cool completely in pan, then cut into 24 bars.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per bar. The lemon squares can be chilled airtight for up to 2 days.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cookies