- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (not cornmeal mix)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons butter or shortening
How to Make It
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine egg, milk, and 1/2 cup melted butter; stir with a wire whisk. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Set aside.
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in an 8" cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Pour batter into skillet. Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.